Where: Wokingham District
Contact: District Commissioner
Open Volunteer Spots: Unlimited
Wokingham District Scouts is looking for a District Secretary.
The District Secretary supports the District Executive Committee, ensuring smooth functioning and smooth administration of the District.
Our Secretary will ideally have previous experience in a Trustee or Committee Secretary role, although training will be available for an enthusiastic and committed person who wants to join the team.
The Skills Profile
- Strong organisational skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Able to think creatively and solve problems.
- Ability to summarise information for different audiences.
- Willing to speak one’s mind and listen to the views of others.
- Able to maintain independent and objective judgement.
Scouting has a core set of training that Trustees will need to undertake:
- Module 1 – Essential Information
- General Data Protection Regulations
- Trustee Induction
Tools of the Role
- Provide administrative support to the running of the Executive Committee.
- Act as Secretary for the Group Scout Council.
- Work with the Chair of the Executive Committee to set meeting agendas and arrange meeting logistics for the Executive Committee.
- Taking accurate and accessible minutes of Executive Committee meetings.
- Distributing agendas, minutes and supporting documents for Executive Committee meetings.
- Maintaining accurate records for the administration of the Group, District; including meeting minutes, census details, ownership of property and equipment, insurance and financial information.
- Ensuring the safety and security of records maintained by the Executive Committee and complying with appropriate legal requirements.
- Communicating with the Executive Committee and relevant Scout Council.
- Support the completion of the Annual Census return.
- Preparing the appropriate administration for the Annual General Meeting, including collating the Annual Report and Accounts.
- To be a full and active participant in Executive Committee meetings and activities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of an Executive Committee as outlined in The Scout Association’s Policy, Organisation and Rules.
- Willingness and eligibility to act as a Charity Trustee for the Group.
- Contribute to the strategic aims and future development of the Group.
|Wokingham Youth Members||Why you’re doing the role|
|Group Chair||Fellow Trustee, Line Manager|
|Group Treasurer||Fellow Trustee|
|Group Scout Leader||Fellow Trustee, Group Head Honcho|
|Group Exec Members||Fellow Trustees|
|District Secretary||Supporter, Counsellor, dotted line manager|
|Group Section Team||Your Wider Team|
|Section Administrators||Admin support within Sections, including maintaining accurate records|
|Other Group Secretaries||Your Support Network|
Every volunteer who applies will be considered, as there may be a requirement for Section Administrators to assist with the day-to-day management support of a Section.
The successful applicant will be appointed to post until the first District AGM, whereby they will need to stand for re-election as per Policy, Organisation & Rules, the rules of the Scout Association.
Mandatory Training needs completing within 5 months of DBS being submitted, and an informal interview with the District Appointments Committee, at some point when it reconvenes.